Image Map

Monday, September 7, 2015

Ideas For Teaching Number Sense: Guess My Number!

Today I'm linking up with K's Classroom Kreations and Theresa's Teaching Tidbits for Math Tip Monday. This post is all about teaching Number Sense! 


I hope that my students have a decent grasp on number sense by the time I get them in 2nd grade. But, we all know that it isn't always the case. English language learners, new students, learning disabilities.. you never know what obstacles you're going to encounter with each new group of students.

Enter... Guess My Number! This can be done on a number line or hundred chart, but I typically use it on the hundred chart. 


Students will ask questions about the mystery number. The person who chose the mystery number will then answer yes or no. I encourage the students to ask descriptive questions, and they know that they are not allowed to guess a specific number, until many other numbers have been ruled out. Here are some examples of questions that my students have asked last year:

Is the number even or odd?
Is the number greater than ___?
Is the number less than ___?
Is the number between ___ and ____?
Does the number have a ___ in the tens place?
Does the number have a ____ in the ones place? 

It is a fun game to add to calendar time, and it's also easy enough to play on the fly when you find you have an extra 5 or 10 minutes!

Make sure you check out the other ideas for teaching number sense! 


3 comments:

  1. Thank you for linking up with us! I love the guess my number game, it really does help kids build number sense and reasoning skills!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I really like how the game could be used with a number line, hundred chart, 200 chart, etc. And it requires no prep!

      Delete