Image Map

Wednesday, August 5, 2015

The First Day of School

The most important day of the school year is almost here! I will miss sleeping in and having free time, but I am SO excited to get going with my new kiddos. These past few weeks I find myself thinking, ''I've had a month off.. Will I remember how to teach?" I sure hope so! :)

The first days of school are so important with setting up your classroom and can make or break the rest of your school year. Just like in the book "The First Days of School" by Harry Wong, we practice practice practice our procedures like crazy!

I do not become too attached to my plans because I know they will change slightly once my students start being pulled for testing. Here are my tentative plans for the first days of school:






If you'd like to download a copy of my first day of school plans, click here to open in Google Drive.


A quick note about classroom procedures:

When they perform the procedure correctly I have several cheers that I teach them to praise and reinforce appropriate behavior. I use these during the year after students share work, present, or for someone who needs a little bit of extra encouragement during the year.

Some of these procedures will get taught as they come up in the morning. I mean, we do breakfast in the classroom and I'm not waiting 3 hours later to teach them how to throw the trash away, and I'm definitely not going to do it myself. If something comes up earlier then we will address it then, but otherwise I use this block of time to go and teach all of my procedures.

Are you ready for the first day of school? 

No comments:

Post a Comment