Image Map

Monday, October 10, 2016

Danger Cards

I'm so happy I read Explore Like a Pirate this summer! I got so many great ideas for ways to engage students, and one of my favorite things was the mini game aspect. I already play learning games in my classroom, and I was able to get some new ideas for easy games. 

On my Instagram, I recently posted about Danger Cards, and here's how I play this fun and easy game!


P.S. this is perfect for those Friday afternoons when your class is crazy and you're just ready for the weekend. 

But, it's also works great when you just need a fun and easy way to practice a skill!


I have the same rules and procedures in every game, so when we learn a new game it takes about 30 seconds. Very little actually changes, which makes it so much easier for me!

The rules and procedures I use for every game are:

1. Divide the class into teams. I either use 2 or 4 teams depending on the game and how much time we have.

2. Number off everyone on each team. 1 - however many students you have. Each team should have a number 1, number 2, number 3, etc. 

3. Everyone solves every problem. Gotta have that engagement!

4. Be quiet when solving the problems. I do not give warnings in games since it is usually a reward, so if this rule is broken that student will be out, or their team will lose points, move back, etc. The consequence depends on the game. I've found that if you are consistent with this then you have very little problems with students talking while solving the problems. 

5. Give the students enough time to solve the problem. Depending on what the problem is, and the strategy I want them to use, it usually takes between 45 seconds and 1 minute. Ultimately you need to keep the game moving forward, or you'll lose the students. If I call on a student and they have not finished the problem then they earn an out, don't get points, whatever makes sense with the game. 
*With Danger Cards, the students don't get an opportunity to choose a Danger Card.

6. Call out a number, and the student on all teams with that number show the answer. 

7. If it's right - they move forward, get points, get to choose something, etc.. If it's wrong, they move backward OR stay in the spot, lose points, nothing happens, etc. These are all variations on the game, so it'll vary with the game! 
*With Danger Cards, a correct answer will earn the opportunity to choose a Danger Card. A wrong answer doesn't earn or lose points.


Here's the nitty gritty with Danger Cards. 

The Danger Cards have a point value on the inside. The students could earn points, lose points, or choose a card that has 0 points. Prior to the start of the game, one student from each team gets to peek inside one card. They can tell their team the point value, so they can use that as part of their strategy.

P.S. most of my students haven't figured out the strategy aspect of this game yet. I think 2 out of 30 have figured out how to trick others into losing points, but that's it!


Anyways, back to the game.


I present a problem, and the students solve it. I call out a number, and any student with that number shows me their white board. If they get the answer right, they get the opportunity to choose a danger card.

Let's say 4 students had the correct answer. I roll the dice to see which student gets to choose a Danger Card. The student chooses a card, but doesn't let the other 3 students see it and doesn't say anything. The other 3 students will decide if they're going to play or pass, depending on their reaction to the card. If they play, they take the point value on the card. If they pass, nothing happens. The 3 students decide if they're going to play or pass, and then the student who saw the card says if they will play or pass after everyone else has cast their vote. If the student says PLAY the class erupts into cheers because they know they'll earn points. If they say PASS, it goes silent because they know that it says something that's not good.

I think that sounds more complicated than it is, and it only takes about 10 seconds or so. I think they like the unknown aspect of the cards because they love love love playing this game!


Looking for other EASY games to add to your day? Click the images below to read about other games I play. 

 Sink or Swim


Math Baseball


What games do you use in your classroom? Let me know in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment