Image Map

Wednesday, July 20, 2016

The Things I Learned From Having a Difficult Class: Administration

This is the eighth post in my Things I Learned from Having a Difficult Class Series. Today I'm focusing on communicating with the administration. Next week will be the last post in this series, which will focus on the bigger picture. What kinds of information does the administration need to know about the difficult class?



I was very fortunate to have a supportive administration this past year with my difficult class. I don't know what I would have done if I didn't have people supporting me and my students in a positive and helpful manner. I'm writing this post keeping the fact that my administration had my back, and if they didn't then I may have responded differently. 


Unlike the parents, the administration does not need to hear all the positives. They will want to hear some strengths the child has, but ultimately they need to know the problems that you're seeing in class. Be professional, but don't sugar coat it!

Here are some things to consider when discussing the child/the difficult class with the administration:

  • Interventions you've already done - Make sure you include the date initiated, what the intervention consisted of, the duration, and the results (positive and negative). This could be academic or behavioral, and you will probably want to include both.

  • Communication with the parent - Is the parent aware of the issue? If they're aware are they supportive? Do they see the same things at home? Or, do they even answer the phone calls, emails, notes home, etc? How often do you communicate with the parent? These are all things they'll want to know, so make sure you've at least tried to contact the parent to discuss the issues.

  • The affect it has on the learning environment - When behaviors get severe, it can seriously affect the learning environment. How much time are you spending on only one child? What things have surfaced as a result of this child? Are you able to teach, and are the other children able to learn?

This last year, there was a period of several months where I had to call the office multiple times a day because of one student. The student would have to be removed, and sometimes they would refuse to leave so I would have to take the rest of the class out of the room so they could deal with the student. After that happened several times, I put materials by the door that I could use for an easy math game that we could play anywhere. I had pages and pages of documentation that I had to do each day for one child, and it definitely took its tole on my moral and the learning environment. I always tried to put a positive spin on it when discussing the situation with the administration, but looking back I think it sounded like I was sugar coating it. The next time I'm in this situation, I will be much more direct and keep the issues the main focus - instead of focusing mainly on the positive. 

  • Student achievement - This buzz word will get things done quickly. Hopefully, anyway. If a child banging their head on their desk, throwing classroom furniture, kicking bookshelves, and screaming at anyone and everyone is happening in your room on a daily basis - you better believe these behaviors are affecting their achievement as well as the other kiddos in class. I mean, could you concentrate on your learning and the lesson if that was happening? 

  • Ask for help - This will show that you want to help the child, and administrators may be more willing to listen when they hear that you've tried their suggestions and things have not improved. If they have improved, then even better! Keep doing what you're doing.

What suggestions do you have when dealing with administration? I'm getting a new principal next year so I'd love to hear suggestions! Let me know in the comments. 




Check back next week for my last post in my series - The Things I Learned From Having a Difficult Class!

P.S. - There's still time to enter the giveaway! The winner will be announced on July 24th.

No comments:

Post a Comment