Image Map

Tuesday, August 2, 2016

X Marks the Spot: Finding Joy in Playful Assessment


Welcome back for my recap of Chapter 9, X Marks the Spot: Finding the Joy in Playful Assessment! This chapter is all about mini games and side quests. 

Mini games can range from something as quick as a 10 minute review to a full 40 minute class period. I've written about games I use in my classroom in previous posts, which are Sink or Swim and Math Baseball. Yes, you can also do Football and Basketball, too! Some mini games that I liked from the chapter are below.


I'm really looking forward to using the Mystery Box and Danger Cards. The Royal Rumble sounds fun, too, but I really like the idea of students not knowing the point values. 





Side quests are optional, open ended learning opportunities that students can choose to engage in on their own time. At the beginning of the book, I was under the impression that it was a much longer and time intensive (on my part) project so I was initially very skeptical as I continued reading about them. Luckily, this chapter proved me wrong and I think I could implement some of these in my room!



Final Thoughts -

Think of ways you can start and end class with a bang. Add energy and excitement to learning!

Use creative names that match your theme for the elements in this chapter. Well, the whole book really.

Next Tuesday is the last post in this linky. Make sure you check back to read the last one! Thanks to Rachael at Sweet Sweet Primary for setting up this linky. It sure has been fun reading the book and sharing my thoughts about gamifying my classroom. I can't wait to see how it all comes together!


Click the image to return to the linky. 

No comments:

Post a Comment