Image Map

Monday, June 6, 2016

Math Tip Monday - End of Year Wrap Up

I am so sad that this is the last round of Math Tip Monday. This was such a fun linky and it was great getting new ideas from other primary teachers. I wasn't able to incorporate all of these ideas in this year because of timing, but I'm definitely looking forward to adding things in next year! A big shoutout to K's Classroom Kreations and Theresa's Teaching Tidbits for putting this together!



I'm really excited about this post. This year I learned about Visual Instruction Plans... Aka VIPS! This has completely changed my instruction for the better and dramatically increased student achievement and made my life a whole lot easier. I only wish that I had found out about this a few years ago!



Visual Instruction Plans can be used for any subject area, but definitely lend themselves to math. It is a visual model of the step by step process that uses minimal words so students can look at where they are in the process and figure out what they need to do next.


P.S. Don't you love how the letters are falling off? It must be the end of the year!

In 2nd grade, we do a lot with addition and subtraction. Gotta get those facts down! But when we get in to double and triple digit addition and subtraction, the kiddos can get tripped up with the steps sometimes. Well.... Not with this! All but one of my students could follow these plans with any strategy and this is something I am DEFINITELY going to use again next year. It is a resource that is well worth your time to create.

Check out the other blogs in the linky! 


1 comment:

  1. I love the VIPS! I will definitely have to start using them next year. Thank you for linking up with us all year ;)

    ReplyDelete